I love creating ways to make smoothies into a meal, where it is balanced with all the right kinds of fats, proteins, carbohydrates and tons of nutrients and superfoods!!! I also love filleting aloe, not only is it super nutritious, but the leftover skin is natures band aid and I love rubbing it on all my Alberta dry windblown skin! Almost everyone has aloe in their home, so here is an easy way to use it.
First we need to fillet the aloe. We do that by using a sharp knife and taking off the very edges, all the spiny stuff.
Next, with the same sharp knife we peel off the top skin of the aloe, this takes time and patience, but is very easy.
Then we peel the clear gel like aloe off of the bottom skin. This is my favourite part, it just smells so summery and fresh, even in winter.
Now we have ooey gooey aloe gel that we can do so many things with. This is the part that you can put in recipes, skin care creams, or even turn it into ice cube trays and save it for later!
Aloe Vera is able to cure itself when it is torn, all succulents can to some extent, but aloe is king. And it takes that healing technique and does the same thing in our bodies!! Here is a list of qualities that should convince you to start adding aloe to your diet and not just your skin care!
When I say aloe vera is the most impressive medicinal herb invented by nature, I don’t make that statement lightly. Of all the herbs I’ve ever studied , aloe vera is a standout. (Turmeric is usually my go to… actually, let’s face it, I love them all. But back to aloe!) There is nothing on this planet that offers the amazing variety of healing benefits granted by aloe vera. In a single plant, aloe vera offers potent, natural medicine that does the following and more:
• Halts the growth of cancer tumours.
• Lowers high cholesterol.
• Repairs “sludge blood” and reverses “sticky blood”.
• Boosts the oxygenation of your blood.
• Eases inflammation and soothes arthritis pain.
• Protects the body from oxidative stress.
• Prevents kidney stones and protects the body from oxalates in coffee and tea.
• Alkalizes the body, helping to balance overly acidic dietary habits.
• Cures ulcers, IBS, Crohn’s disease and other digestive disorders.
• Reduces high blood pressure natural, by treating the cause, not just the symptoms.
• Nourishes the body with minerals, vitamins, enzymes and glyconutrients.
• Accelerates healing from physical burns and radiation burns.
• Replaces dozens of first aid products, makes bandages and antibacterial sprays obsolete.
• Halts colon cancer, heals the intestines and lubricates the digestive tract.
• Ends constipation.
• Stabilizes blood sugar and reduces triglycerides in diabetics.
• Prevents and treats candida infections.
• Protects the kidneys from disease.
• Functions as nature’s own “sports drink” for electrolyte balance, making common sports drinks obsolete.
• Boosts cardiovascular performance and physical endurance.
• Speeds recovery from injury or physical exertion.
• Hydrates the skin, accelerates skin repair.
So without further ado! Let’s give you the recipe!!!
ALL-ROUND KALE ALOE SMOOTHIE
1/4 cup of raw organic walnuts
3 stalks of kale
1/4 cup goji berries
3 filleted aloe leaves
1 “thumb” of ginger
1 Tbsp freshly ground flax
1. Grind your flax, use a coffee grinder and break it down. This adds fibre, and omega 3’s to your smoothie. Flax seeds go rancid very fast once the oils are released, so always do it fresh, or if you grind a whole bunch, refrigerate it and use within a week. Or you can freeze it and use within a month.
2. If you have a high speed blender, I just chop the ginger and put it in like it is. If you have a less efficient blender, all you have to do is peel the skin off with a spoon and finely chop or grate your ginger. Ginger has a long list of benefits for us, most prevalent is it’s digestive abilities, not just with nausea, it also breaks down rotten foods and moves them along helping your body avoid malabsorption and getting the most from the nutrients we ingest.
3. Leave the skin on your apple, slice and remove the seeds. Apples contain pectin, and they are my go to when my skin is looking my age lol. It literally helps you look younger and gives you that glow. An apple a day, literally does keep the doctor away. Actually, this smoothie will for sure if you make it your breakfast daily!!
4. Now for kale, which is packed with protein and so many nutrients! Kale is a superfood for a reason, not many other greens can give you the absorbable and much needed nutrients kale can. Are you low in iron? Need more calcium? Or let’s talk about that Heart Chakra!! Bottom line is, kale is important. You can substitute spinach here if you would like, however, over use of spinach can lead to a build up of oxalic acid, so it is always good to vary the greens you ingest. I secretly think it was kale that gave Popeye all his strength and not spinach 😉
5. Goji Berries! I can talk about them forever! If you don’t have a high speed blender soak them in water for 10 minutes first to plump them up, and save that water for your smoothie! Goji Berries are one of the biggest sources of beta carotene in existence. However, the reason they are my go to in so many meals. Goji Berries contain sesquiterpenoids that literally kick your body into action and naturally stimulate the Human Growth Hormone! You know—that anti-aging, fat-blasting hormone that keeps our cells rejuvenating and looking young, and more importantly feeling young! This is the only food that does this! And you only need a very little bit in a day; 1/8 a cup or as a water infusion will do. Or just drink this smoothie every day!!
6. Walnuts!! Whenever you think of walnuts think of your heart, you need them. And then think of your skin. Walnuts can not only protect your skin from sun damage, they also can give you that warm glow so you develop a natural tan and help fight the winter pasty’s. Walnuts deserve their own page on benefits. I have them here to give us protein and again healthy fats. Fats slow down the absorption of sugar in your body which fights insulin secretion and is just plain good, they also allow our nutrients to absorb. That is why when you go on a juice fast they recommend a tablespoon of coconut oil in the morning. So you aren’t just peeing all those important life giving nutrients out 🙂
7. Add your aloe, then add your water. Everyone is different. I don’t like thick smoothies so I add quite a bit of water. Start with a cup, and blend, then adjust to where you like it.
And now you are done!! We have made a complete meal that is perfectly balanced and literally is going to work on your insides as we speak. High vibrational, nutrient dense, and delicious. If you are new to smoothies and prefer something a little sweeter, you could try using a little raw honey or yacon syrup (though it’s already a bit on the sweet side).
Thank you for allowing me to share with you!!!
Did you like it? Feel free to share it!